Curtains don’t just offer privacy from the neighbors and add personal style and beauty to your rooms; they protect your furniture & rugs from the damaging effects of direct sunlight and also help keep heating & cooling costs down, saving you money.
Curtains can easily be changed with the seasons to create an entirely new room look at a minimal cost. Here are some easy steps to get you started:
To determine Width:
- Measure the width of each window you plan to decorate. You should measure each window separately, even if you think they are the same.
- Round up the measurement to the nearest inch and then multiply by 2 for Rod Pockets and 2-3” for Grommets, depending on how much pleating you desire.
- Divide this number by the width of the curtain panel or valance to determine how many to purchase. Round to the nearest whole number.
To Determine Length:
- Measurement is taken from the top of the rod, unless otherwise stated. The rod is generally placed 6” inches above the window, but can be as high as 12”.
- Popular Curtain Lengths:
63 inches - hangs to windowsill on most windows
84 inches - hangs to floor on most windows
95 inches - for use on taller windows or to puddle on the floor
- Move rod up or down to adjust for the length of the Curtain Panel.